The Primary Education phase of your child's life is so important in terms of helping children develop and build the foundation of necessary skills for learning and retention. These are the years where we can influence the desire to learn and to create a life long passion for learning.
At Oasis Academy Pinewood we offer a curriculum that will develop confident, independent learners and enable every pupil to achieve their personal best. We believe that all of our students are capable of experiencing remarkable success given the right conditions to succeed no matter what their starting point is. To that end we offer our young people a diverse, fun, experiential curriculum, designed to suit all needs and we tailor our classes to help your child get the best from their time with us.
We teach an exciting and creative curriculum and our aim is to encourage our learners to achieve their very best and to ensure they develop skills and talents in all aspects of intellectual, social and physical development.
Please find to the right, the National Curriculum (2014) statutory requirements, for each National Curriculum Year Group, mapped by core and non-core subject. The Documents show the statutory areas that the children must be taught by year group for the core subjects (English, Maths and Science) and non-core.
Stages of Education
Your child's education throughout primary school sits within three stages:
Foundation Stage: Nursery (3-4 years) and Reception (4-5 years)
Key Stage 1: Years 1 (5-6 years) and 2 (6-7 years)
Key Stage 2: Years 3, 4, 5 and 6 (8-11 years)
The children study the primary curriculum which includes the core areas of learning and experience which are essential to a child’s development and are defined within the National Curriculum. The learning environment is also carefully planned to support learning and teaching in core curriculum areas so that children can become independent and motivated learners who fulfil their true potential.
The core areas are:
- English – speaking, listening reading and writing play an important in the learning process. A strong emphasis of our curriculum is placed on developing out learners into our confident and skilled speakers. We are proud to be a 'Talk4Writing' school.
- Speaking and listening – we encourage learners to express themselves effectively and confidently for different purposes and audiences and to listen and respond to each other.
- Reading – we teach reading skills daily and provide opportunities to read in all areas of the curriculum. We employ a systematic approach to phonics and other word reading strategies and seek to engender a life-long love of reading. Accelerated Reader has been introduced into KS2 and upper KS1. A student reads a book, takes an online quiz, gets immediate feedback and is movivated to make progress with their reading. The school is well equipped with a variety of interactive books, audio books and pictures to encourage learners to look, listen, talk and read.
- Writing – learners are encouraged to write for a variety of purposes and are taught the skills needed to become confident writers.
- Mathematics – learners develop their numeracy, problem solving and reasoning skills through a range of practical activities and challenges.
- Science – learners have opportunities to explore and learn about their world. They learn to hypothesise, test their predictions and draw conclusions.
- Computing – learners are equipped with the necessary skills and confidence to successfully function in the changing world of technology.
- Religious Education – we believe that all learners should develop mutual respect and understanding of many different beliefs and cultures. You will have the right to withdraw your child from RE and Collective Worship by written request.
- Creative Arts - developing our children's knowledge and skills in the arts is crucial for their success as a well-rounded learner. At Oasis Academy Pinewood, our rich music, art and drama curriculum ensures this.
Your child will also study a bespoke curriculum, which develops learning of the following subjects, through topic areas:
- Design Technology
- Character Education
- Physical Education
- Swimming – this is part of the National Curriculum. The school aims for every child to be able to swim 25m before they move to secondary school. Qualified swimming instructors work with the children to teach this important life skill.
- Personal, Social & Health Education and Citizenship
- Sex and Relationship Education – this is taught as part of health education scheme within Key Stage 2. Parents are invited to view all material before it is taught, and have the option of withdrawing their child by written request.
Oasis Academy Pinewood is proud to hold Forest School status. Every term, each class visits Havering Park, which is adjacent to the school site. The children take part in a variety of activities, such as nature hunts, den building, creative play, team games and crafting items from natural resources. The Forest School education allows the children to work in groups and encourages team building skills. Pupils are able to learn in a safe environment and this has encouraged children to demonstrate independence and creativity. In the Academy grounds, we also have a fire pit where children regularly light fires and toast foods such as marshmallows.
If you have a query regarding the school curriculum please contact the Academy Office on 01708 743000.