In line with Oasis’ Education Charter, the curriculum is the heart of Oasis Academy Pinewood’s educational provision. Through this - and our commitment to an exceptional climate for learning and great teaching - we make focused learning the foundation of every lesson. Through our curriculum we will achieve outcomes that drive social mobility and give everyone freedom of choice throughout their lives.
The Oasis ethos and 9 Habits are a foundation stone to the design and delivery of our curriculum. We know that the development of character doesn’t happen by chance but by purpose and intention: it is therefore an explicit part of our curriculum. We therefore work hard at preparing our students to be the best version of themselves not just for today but for their futures too.
Our curriculum has been designed to ensure our children thrive, achieve and flourish. It enables them to understand what it is to be human and equips them for life so that they become kind and model citizens. Our curriculum not only develops our young people academically but socially, emotionally, culturally, physically and spiritually.
Whilst our knowledge-rich curriculum is designed to ensure the very best academic outcomes for our children using the latest research in how the brain and memory works, it is about so much more than simply securing great results. It is about our academy’s determination to achieve excellence with equity and integrity: where we bring advantage to the disadvantaged, where barriers to learning are successfully overcome and there are no limits to the achievement and ambition of our most able. In our academy this will mean that all children, whatever their background, starting point and life experience, develop a strong grasp of the key learning skills, attitudes and knowledge they need to make an excellent start to secondary education. This will be delivered through the experiences of a stimulating, broad and balanced context-based curriculum that is not restricted to just skills and knowledge for reading, writing and maths.
We are proud of our curriculum which has been designed to meet the needs of our children. We believe that our children are our future and that teaching them to protect and cherish the local and wider environment is key to the health and happiness of us all. Because of this, we have chosen to be a Forest School and our children take full advantage of Havering Country Park and our beautiful grounds. We know that in order to succeed at school and beyond our children need specific skills and attributes such as resilience, the ability to work in a team, communication skills and a commitment to excellence. At Oasis Academy Pinewood our pupils follow the Commando Joe’s curriculum which as well as equipping them with vital skills and knowledge, develops these key attitudes. Health and wellbeing is a core focus and our children are taught to be active and healthy both physically and mentally through our physical education programme and our personal, social, health and emotional scheme.
An integral part of our curriculum offer are the trips, visits and other activities we offer. Every primary age child has an opportunity to do free after school and lunchtime clubs from a wide range of choices. At Oasis Academy Pinewood, the visits on offer are numerous and of an extremely high quality. We visit the Globe theatre, the London Eye, the British Library, take part in the Shakespeare School’s Festival and so much more. Through these opportunities our children learning more about the world, grow their aspirations and deepen their interests.
Early years Foundation Stage
We provide a curriculum based on planned, active and exploratory play and the development of physical dexterity, creativity, critical thinking, language skills and social awareness. The curriculum will provide opportunities for these children to learn to read and write, develop skills in maths, find out about the world around them and develop an understanding of art and design We know that young children learn best outside and all children take part in outdoor learning every day where they deep their skills, knowledge and understanding of the world.
What will my child be learning?
With us, your child will be taught a range of subjects through expressive exploration and sensory experiences. We know that starting Nursery can be a daunting experience for some, therefore do our very best to ease each of our young people into our learning environment in their own way.
Children will discover:
- Communication and Language - they will learn to listen attentively in a range of situations. They'll learn to follow instructions, answering 'how' and 'why' questions about their experiences. They'll also learn to express themselves differently, showing awareness to others' needs, using past, present and future forms accurately.
- Physical Development - children will show good control and coordination, learning to move confidently in a range of ways and safely negotiating spaces. They will learn to hand equipment and tools effectively, including pencils for writing. Children will also learn the importance of good physical health, and ways to keep healthy and safe. Basic hygiene management is reinforced at our provision, as our young people successfully master dressing and going to the toilet independently.
- Personal Social and Emotional Development - with us, children become confident to try new activities, and express what they enjoy and what they don't. They are confident talking in familiar groups about their ideas and work together to achieve shared goals. Talking openly and safely about feelings is encouraged at school, as is talking about behaviour and consequences.
- Literacy - children read and understand simple sentences, using phonics knowledge to decode regular words. They demonstrate writing words in ways to match their spoken sounds, both regular and irregular.
- Mathematics - children count reliably with numbers from 1-20, placing them in order and saying which one is more or less. Using quantities and objects, they can add and subtract.
- Understanding the world - children talk about past and present events in their own lives and those of their families. They understand the differences and similarities between themselves and others and community traditions. Children understand objects, materials and living things, talking about features and how the three are interconnected. Children can also recognise the uses of technology in learning both within the academy and at home.
- Expressive Arts and Design - children sing songs, make music and dance. They safely explore a variety of materials, tools and techniques, experimenting with colour, design, texture, form and function.
Download the school curriculum overview for each year group
Our curriculum overviews provide a breakdown of what is taught in each topic across the year.
Download the national primary curriculum here
Read Write Inc Phonics
The scheme we use to teach phonics from nursery onwards is Read Write Inc. We have chosen this programme for our children because it is active, fun and very effective. Children in early years and key stage one have specialised RWI lessons every day. At Oasis Academy Pinewood we know that in order to be fluent, confident readers children need to have a strong grasp of phonics. We also know that being a competent reader and enjoying reading is one of the key indicators of a child’s future success at school and beyond. By the end of year one, children will have taken their phonics check. This is to check which children need extra support in phonics in order to catch up with their peers.
To find out more watch this video: